I had every intention of divulging this shit to Ash. It's insane. She's, at least, close enough to the raggedy edge to at least play along. Melanie of course demands secrecy but she's eleven and scared, may not even remember not being scared. She doesn't really have the best judgement, now does she?
But it turns out Ashleigh has been harboring her own secret. Well, not a secret, but she's been sending me mixed messages. We are an odd couple - she's a ridiculous overachiever while I am content to take a few advanced classes, put forth minimum effort, do pretty well and let it lie. Hell, I don't even want to get my driver's license because mom and Ash are content to take me where I need to go.
But now she's tired of 'enabling' me. "You haven't even looked into colleges yet, have you?" No, I'm a sophomore. And besides, it's not like we've got money or I'm going to get a full ride scholarship, or necessarily any scholarship. I've been with her through her painstaking process of applying and finagling and all the crap that goes into this sort of thing. Purdue. Texas A&M. Miskatonic. Berkley. MIT. University of Texas. She's considered every college from sea to shining sea, except more than a few of those were so outlandish for her talents that it's pretty clear she thought she was getting me interested. Or at least trying.
The whole thing came to a fucking head yesterday and she's gone for the weekend so I pretty much have no idea about anything anymore. My best friend has alienated me right when I need somebody and if I try to tell her about this she'll think I'm making it all up.
Guess I'll have to turn to the Internet.
No comments:
Post a Comment